The following press statement was released from Mayor Skip Henderson's office today:
Today, the Department of Public Health confirmed the first case of COVID-19 in Muscogee County. The patient is confined and under medical supervision. While the news of our first case is sobering, given the number of cases nationwide and the increased availability of testing, this was expected. Knowing this, we have already discussed and made plans to address this positive case.
Unfortunately, with a confirmed case, the community can expect the spread of the COVID-19 virus within the city. To do your part in protecting the vulnerable population and the community at large, the Mayor is requesting that all the members of our community follow CDC prevention guidelines:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid gatherings larger than 10 people.
- Practice social distancing (6 feet).
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60% alcohol.
- If you are sick, stay at home.
- The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, cough, and shortness of breath. If you think you have the symptoms, please call your physician or the Department of Public Health (706-321-6300).
- Notify your primary health care provider before you got to their office or emergency room.
In addition to the above recommendations, we ask that families come together to establish plans to check on and support elderly family members to reduce the possibility of exposures. This is a challenging time for all citizens, and we ask that everyone remain calm and listen to reliable sources of information for updates.
The most up to date information is located at www.cdc.gov.
The West Central Health District also has a toll free 24-hour information line that can accept voice mail messages or questions at the end of the recording. Any messages will be returned within 24 hours. That number is 1-855-962-0955.